It has been a couple of weeks since the 25th edition of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza, and the return to the Floriana Granaries was very well received by the public present. With all the festivities surrounding Independence Day back to their roots, the evening was buzzing with an air of excitment, and following the performance of 24 participating entries; 20 pre-qualified in the ‘Talent Stabbilit’, 1 through with the same category via tele-voting and another 3 which came through ‘Talent Ġdid’, the winner was announced as “Se Naslu Żgur”, written by Ray Agius, and sung by Dario Bezzina.
Hosted by Toni Busuttil, Mireille Bonello and Christine Haber, this year's edition of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza, which was aired on NET Television, saw a smooth transition of performances, with the the list of participating artists featuring a good mixture of newcomers and veterans. The professional members of the jury was made up of a mixture of musicians, and media personalities, instantly recognisable by many. A full list of the results may be viewed below.
24th place: “Ippruvajt” (Dominic Cini / Rita Pace) - Odessa
Best Young Talent: “Vittoja” (Mark Scicluna / Emil Calleja Bayliss) - Shaun Zaffarese
Televoting Award: “Speċjali” (Renato Briffa / Rita Pace) - Aidan Cassar
01st place: “Se Naslu Żgur” (Ray Agius) - Dario Bezzina
On behalf of the editorial team at escflashmalta.com, we would like to congratulate the winners circle, as well as the other 19 participants who made this year's edition of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza a memorable one. A round of applause also for the organising committee, led by Joseph Mizzi, and featuring Sandra Grech as a member. Stay tuned to this portal even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news about the local music scene.
Source: NET Television, escflashmalta.com
In the aftermath of “L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Festival tal-Kanzunetta Maltija”, the attention of the local music scene quickly turns to the “Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza”, another music competition which features original songs in Maltese, capping a successful series of months for our national language.
This year’s edition of the “Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza” will be returning back to it’s home-base on The Granaries in Floriana, noting that 12 months ago, the festival was staged at Pjazza Teatru Rjal in Valletta, something of a rare occasion.
23 entries will be sung on stage, but prior to that, there are still some eliminatory phases which need to be held, first starting off with the “Talent Żgħażugħ” category from which 3 songs will be chosen through a mixture of tele-voting (40%) and expert jury voting (60%). Those competing are as follows:
3 songs have also been shortlisted with the “Talent Stabbilit” category yet will be requiring the full support of the public at home, noting that during the second phase of the competition these songs originally ranked between 21st and 23rd. Those competing are as follows:
The rest of the field, therefore 20 in total features acts who have taken part in other national competitions such as the “Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza”, “L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Festival tal-Kanzunetta Maltija”, “Malta Eurovision Song Contest”, “Junior Eurovision Song Contest” and also “Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza Jr”. Those competing are as follows:
On the right hand side to each competing entry, there is a number which duly corresponds to the televoting portion of the competition. In the “Talent Stabbilit”, the televoting winner is handed out as a seperate award, but the other sections have different rules and regulations as stated above. This year’s “Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza” will be taking place on Monday 19th September, and is organised under the auspices of Media.Link Communications. Stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news.
Source: NET Television
In previous years, the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza was a hub for newfound talent, with the winning circle going onto achieve more success in the near future. This was not the case in recent years with established acts and former Eurovision Song Contest representatives; Mike Spiteri and Fabrizio Faniello amongst the last four acts to have won the local music competition.
In 2014 though, it seems that originality and talent played a major role in the jury choice with two of the three artists to rank in the top three, making their official debut in the 'Talent Stabbilit' portion of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza. Earlier this morning, the Official Facebook Page of the prestigious music competition made the full ranking along with the points given, public. The jury comprised of; Manuel Aquilina, Steve Aquilina, Ivan Borg, Amber and Mike Spiteri.
2. Ġabuna Indipendenti - Marilena (Philip Vella / Joe Chircop) - 369 points
3. Ħolma ta' Nazzjon - Cherylis Camilleri (Mark Debono / Rita Pace) - 362 points
5. Mara - Domenique (Philip Vella / Paul Ellul) - 355 points
8. Kuntenta Kif Jien - Ann Marie Ellul (Rita Pace) - 295 points
9. Nemmen fil-Futur - Mattei Curmi (Philip Vella / Cher Vella) - 294 points
10. Nisġa - Josepha Cumbo (Minik / Emil Calleja Bayliss) - 277 points
11. Aħjar - Simone Gauci (Mark Spiteri Lucas / Rita Pace) - 277 points
12. Tħobbni Kif Jien - Phylisienne (Philip Vella / Chris Azzopardi) - 265 points
13. Naħfirlek - Franz Bezzina (Augusto Cardinali) - 261 points
14. Fuq dil-Blata - Roseann Cordina (Minik / Paul Ellul) - 260 points
15. Destin - Danica Muscat (Philip Vella) - 258 points
16. Tfajla - Donna (Ray Agius / Paul Ellul) - 252 points
17. Hemm Int - Valentina Farrugia (Roger Tirazona / Joe J Farrugia) - 245 points
18. Daqs Xulxin - Charlene Cardona (Minik / Joe Chircop) - 243 points
19. Ġrajjiet - Michela Dalli (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino) - 234 points
20. Passaġġ - Kurt Galea (Clinton Paul) - 235 points
21. Int u Jien - Maria Cassar (Minik / Rita Pace) - 216 points
22. Ibqa' Ħdejja - Ina Robinich (Minik / Deo Grech) - 193 points
23. Ngħidulek Grazzi - Christian Azzopardi (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino) - 184 points
Michela Galea, one of the youngest participants in this year's edition of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza joins a prestigious list of previous winners, some of which made the transition into the local music scene relatively quickly after their success. The most recent being none other than Amber, a four time participant in the Malta Eurovision Song Contest and also backing vocalist of "This Is The Night" at the 2012 edition of the Eurovision Song Contest.
The winning entry of the public vote last night was "Tħobbni Kif Jien" composed by Philip Vella to the lyrics of Christopher Azzopardi whilst the triumphant act from the upcoming category was Kurt Cassar and his entry "Inservi" composed by Gillian Attard and Elton Zarb to the lyrics of Emil Calleja Bayliss. We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news from the local music scene.
Earlier this evening, Media.Link Communications and NET Television revealed the names of the finalists in this year's edition of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza. 23 acts will be competing for the main trophy, although a separate trophy will be given to both the winner of the public vote as well as the "Talent Ġdid". The event set to take place on the 18th September on the Granaries in Floriana with Marbeck Spiteri appointed as hostess.
This year, the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza is under a major spotlight, noting that Malta is celebrating 50 years of Independence, hence giving the spectacle more of a spark. It will be just one event in a series of festivities held at the Granaries in Floriana. The general public got to listen to the entries through Indifest on NET Television every Thursday as well as viral website, YouTube where preview videos had been updated.
The 23 entries chosen to compete in this year's edition of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza were selected through a mixture of tele-voting, amounting to 40% of the final result as well as a professional jury, amounting to 60% of the final result. The professional panel of judges comprised of; Frederick Zammit, Lorenzo Brincat, Josephine Ebejer Grech, Corazon Mizzi and Karl Gouder. escflashmalta.com will be on hand during the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza, and thus we urge you to stay tuned to the main portal as well as our social media pages on Facebook & Twitter.
Source: NET Television
The Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza is thought to be one of the finest musical institutions in the country noting that original tracks in Maltese are promoted. Some of the most recent winners of the esteemed competitions are none other than Amber, Mike Spiteri, Deborah C and Annabelle Debono with the most successful songwriters along the years being none other than Ray Agius, Mark Spiteri Lucas and Joe Chircop respectively. In recent years, the event has been supported greatly by escflashmalta.com with two board members present in the committee but for the first time in three years, coverage will be from an outsiders' point of view with the coverage being tweaked ever so slightly in order to promote the acts which will be selected.
The Committee of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza led by Chairman Mark Azzopardi received a total of seventy-nine (79) entries, from which eight (8) were submitted into the Teenage Category leaving the other seventy-one (71) in the Established Category. It is quite intriguing to note that this is quite a disappointing figure considering that over a hundred (100) songs were submitted in totality over the past three years, signalling that the popularity might be waning, something which is rather unfortunate. The jury for the first phase of the competition included none other than Deborah C, winner of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza 2012; John Perici Calascione, a Disc Jockey; Darren Carabott, student and Kevin Azzopardi, a musician who was also a judge during the second phase last year.
- Aħfirli Jekk Trid - Fabrizio Faniello (Minik / Rita Pace)
- Aħwa Lkoll - Domenique (Minik / Gillian Attard)
- Armonija - Minik (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino)
- Bil-Ħila Tagħna - Andre' Curmi (Minik / Rita Pace)
- Dellijiet - Elijah (Chan Vella / Alexia Schembri)
- Ejjew Ilkoll - Roseann Cordina (Mark Spiteri Lucas / Paul Ellul)
- Emmint - Johanna Galea (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino)
- Eva - Christian Azzopardi (Philip Vella / Mark Amaira)
- Fejn Hemm L-Għaqda Hemm is-Saħħa - Christian Arding (Chan Vella / Alexia Schembri)
- Fraħt Għax Sibtek - Laura Bruno (Frederick Camilleri)
- Fram-men-ti - Domenique (Philip Vella / Mark Amaira)
- Għalik - Domenique (Philip Vella / Cher Vella)
- Gloria - Mauro & Kim (Rita Pace)
- Ġrajjiet - Michela Dalli (Dominic Cini / Stephen Baldacchino)
- Ħallini Nerġa Lura - Clayton Seychell (Philip Vella / Anton Grech)
- Ħallini Ngħidlek - Nicole Brincat (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino)
- Ħarsitna 'l Fuq - Domenique (Mark Spiteri Lucas / Paul Ellul)
- Ħdejk - Joseph Refalo (Philip Vella / Cher Vella)
- Hemm Miegħek Jien - Neville Refalo (Dominic Cini / Rita Pace)
- Insini - Letizia Seychell (Philip Vella /Anton Grech)
- Int - Laura Bruno (Frederick Camilleri)
- Int Kont Hemm - Daniel Muscat (Mark Spiteri Lucas / Marlon Polidano / Stephen Baldacchino)
- Int u Jien - Ana-Maria Grima (Philip Vella / Cher Vella)
- Inwiegħdek - Johanna Galea u Josef Tabone (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino)
- Kemm Se Ddum - Estelle Fenech Imbroll (Rita Pace / Mark Scicluna)
- Kleopatra - Jade-Amber Muscat (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino)
- L-Ewlieni - Danica Muscat (Philip Vella / Emil Calleja Bayliss)
- Li Jien Illum - Mikhail Attard / Simarija Galea (Elton Zarb / Natasha Turner)
- Ma Jistax Ikun - Maria Abdilla (Renato Briffa / Paul Callus)
- Ma Ninsew Qatt - Domenique (Mark Debono / Rita Pace)
- Magħqudin - Francesco Catania (Ludwig Galea / Augusto Cardinali)
- Mara - Domenique (Philip Vella / Paul Ellul)
- Merħba - Albertine Abela (Minik / Giovann Attard)
- Mhux Pupa Biss - Raquel Galdes (Minik / Rita Pace)
- M'Intiex Waħdek - Kylie Coleiro (Philip Vella / Manila Bottone)
- Nemmen Fil-Futur - Mattei Curmi (Philip Vella / Cher Vella)
- Nibqa' - Janice Mangion (Chan Vella / Alexia Schembri)
- Passi Fir-Ramel - Domenique (Philip Vella / Mark Amaira)
- Perper Rebbieħa - Marie Claire Attard Bason (Dominic Cini / Stephen Baldacchino)
- Qalb li Tħobb - Danica Sammut (Marco Debono / Rita Pace)
- Raġġ ta' Tama - Domenique (Philip Vella / Cher Vella)
- Rebbiegħa - Kristen Camilleri (Philip Vella / Cher Vella)
- Sabiħ il-Logħob Jekk - Kurt Galea (Mark Spiteri Lucas / Paul Ellul)
- Speċjali - Josef Tabone (Renato Briffa / Rita Pace)
- Stmerrejtek, Ħabbejtek - Marie Claire Attard Bason (Mark Scicluna / Emil Calleja Bayliss)
- Vampanar - Christian Azzopardi (Philip Vella / Mark Amaira)
- Viva L-Ħajja - Cherylis Camilleri (Kaya)
- Xbajt - Domenique (Philip Vella)
- Xi Darba - Estelle Fenech Imbroll (Mark Scicluna / Estelle Fenech Imbroll)
- Xtaqtek Taf - Simone Gauci (Jason Cassar / Mario Farrugia)
The eight (8) entries submitted into the Teenage Category have all made it through to the television stage of the competition due to meeting the requirements as set forth by the committee of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza. The names of the artists, songs and their respective songwriters will most likely be revealed over the next couple of days noting that the second phase will take place next weekend in front of a panel of judges which as stipulated by the regulations could be the same as they were in the first phase. Stay tuned to escflashmalta.com for all of the latest news about this years' edition of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza which will take place during the Independence festivities in September.
Source: Malta Right Now