23 November 2017
Douglas Matheson

Douglas Matheson

Thursday, 27 October 2016 07:57

MESC 2017: The Public Will Have a Major Say

John Bundy, Chief Executive Officer of the Public Broadcasting Services, has recently given an interview to the local newspaper “Illum”, stating that ‘the song belongs to the people, and therefore the people will select it’ which in all likelihood means that the next edition of the Malta Eurovision Song Contest will be decided mostly through a public vote.

The rules and regulations, yet to be officially published but expected any day should highlight a different approach to Malta’s participation in the international spectacle, aiming to improve upon recent results.

In 2016, Ira Losco was under scrutiny on continous occasions, starting off with the change in song and then the participaion expenditure. That said, “Walk on Water” finished in a stunning 4th place with the juries, before tele-voting saw her fall down to 11th place, still very credible considering that Malta’s best result was an 8th place finish in 2013, achieved by Gianluca Bezzina and “Tomorrow”.

Previous artists who have represented Malta at the Eurovision Song Contest owing to a 100% public vote included: Chiara in 2005, Fabrizio Faniello in 2006, Olivia Lewis in 2007 and Chiara in 2009. That said, the jury and the public have agreed on several occasions, the most recent being with Ira Losco in 2016, and Amber in 2015. Malta would have had different winners in 2013, and 2014, as the winners of the Pubic Vote where Kevin Borg, and Jessika.

We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news about the 2017 Malta Eurovision Song Contest as soon as it becomes available.

Source: Illum

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

Raquel, has decided to release her brand new single ‘Signs’ on local airwaves. Her brand new track is penned by Emil Calleja Bayliss and composed, as well as produced by Andrew Zammit of Tone Studios. It is a slightly different style to what one is used to seeing Raquel singing but nonetheless, it is a style that suited the young artist. She keeps going from strength to strength and showing her versatility in different numbers, as one can ultimately hear in this acoustic track.
 
The lyrics compliment the easy going melody, yet reflect the basic reality that in life one always has to keep moving whatever happens, there are always signs around us that lead us to the right path. If something goes wrong, just like in a game, there’s always time to find your way back on track. This sweet, yet catchy number should easily tick all the boxes for the listener to take an instant liking to the song and Raquel’s voice gives it the edge the number needs.
 
Raquel is surely not a stranger to the local scene as she has reached the finals of the last three Malta Eurovision Song Contest with ‘Invisible’, ‘Stop Haunting Me’ & ‘Flashing Lights’. She also had the privilege to perform during Rockestra last year, in aid of the Malta Community Chest Fund. Last year, she also managed a runner-up finish in the prestigious L-Għanja Tal-Poplu - Festival tal-Kanzunetta Maltija with the track ‘Ċans Ieħor’.
 
We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news about local musicians, and their release as soon as it becomes available.
 
You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video
Wednesday, 04 November 2015 01:35

MESC 2016: Karen DeBattista Will Not Participate

"I would like to announce that I have not submitted any entries for the Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2016, focusing on my studies above anything else", announced Karen DeBattista through her official social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter.

Emerging on the local music scene as a finalist in the Summer Hit Song Contest 2011, the young versatile female vocalist made headlines winning L-Għanja tal-Poplu 2014 with "Jien Ma Naħdimx", an original song composed by Mark Scicluna with lyrics by Rita Pace. She quickly anticipated the possibility of partaking in the Malta Eurovision Song Contest and enlisted lyricist Emil Calleja Bayliss, and composer Jan Van Dijck to work on something different. 

The result of this collaboration was "12, Baker Street", one of the songs which made it through to the final phase of the competition, eventually also making the iTunes chart. We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news about Malta's participation in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016.

Source: escflashmalta.com, Karen DeBattista (Facebook, Twitter)

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

Friday, 04 September 2015 18:51

MESC 2016: PBS Publishes Rules and Regulations

PBS (Public Broadcasting Services), the national broadcaster, responsible for Malta's participation at events organised by the European Broadcasting Union, has just published the rules and regulations for participation in the 2016 Malta Eurovision Song Contest.

At a glance, it seems that there have not been any major changes to the national selection format, noting that each participant will have to submit an original song, pertaining to the requirements as set forth by the European Broadcasting Union, as well as a cover song, which could be either a previously released track by the aforementioned participant or a favourite song in the genre which best suits the applicant.

One of the few changes is that all the vocals during the first and second part of the final phase have to be LIVE, due to the fact that they have to be replicated as such during the Eurovision Song Contest. Submissions will be accepted at the PBS Creativity Hub on the 29th and 30th October 2015 at a fee of €150.

The announcement of the 20 finalists will be made in November, with the Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2016 set to take place in January. We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news on who will follow our "Warrior", the powerhouse Amber to the international spectacle.

Source: PBS

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

As the curtain rose on the stage of the Ariston Theatre, RAI was one of the headlining broadcasters in support of the Eurovision Song Contest with Emma Marrone, the public choice in Malta giving a spirited performance of her entry La Mia Città. Nevertheless, as the sun sets on another extravagant edition, this time won by Austria and Conhita Wurst, with the Bond-esque Rise Like a Phoenix, we thought of seeing what happened at Sanremo Junior.

Sanremo Junior has always been a date of note in the diaries of Europe’s younger performers. A competition for participants aged 6-15, this prestigious festival has encompassed the dreams of so many young performers over the past 5 years. This year, Malta was represented by 5 wonderfully talented performers:

Destiny Chukunyere (coached by Ms. Maria Abdilla)

Karl Luke Schembri (coached by Soprano Antoinette Miggiani / Ms. Claire McCartin)

Kylie Meilak (Gillian Attard of La Voix Academy)

Sebastian Calleja (vocal coach: Glen Vella)

Laetitia Amodio (coached by her mother Ms. Charmaine Amodio)

And success was at hand! Destiny Chukunyere walked out supreme as the Overall Grand Prix Singers Winner and Laetitia Amodio was crowned the Overall Grand Prix Musicians Winner! Furthermore, Karl Luke Schembri was placed first in the 13-15 Section! Kylie Meilak and Sebastian Calleja also put in strong performances that they can come home feeling proud over!

This year the event – under UNICEF patronage – followed a central topic focusing on protecting children’s rights. Malta were competing against participants from all over Europe, including: Belarus, Italy, Israel, Romania and Russia.We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news from the local music scene.

Source: Press Release

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

Related Articles